Two Saturdays ago, I was driving on ECR. What is special about this? It is just that it was my special day. My family was there in the car and there was somebody else as well in the form of music. Suddenly, my son said – “His next song from Dorothy will be released in 30 minutes’’.
My thoughts went back to those
days when I would be with my transistor radio waiting with bated breath to
listen to his ‘latest’. With that excitement back now, I kept asking my son if
it was out. Finally, he said, ‘Yes’ and started playing it on his phone.
‘Bamchika Bamchika
Bamcha Bam’ sang a very different voice repeatedly even as the electronic
sounds backing the vocals. And this went on almost for nearly one and half
minutes with a couple of instruments (Synth Shehnai and the Flute)
appearing in between and the chorus humming a tune. After 2
minutes, my son said ‘I think it is just the background music and not a song’.
But then appeared the female voice (Swetha Mohan). After nearly 3 and
half minutes, the Master’s voice appeared too.
‘Such a long prelude!’
I thought and at the same time wondered as to why it was sounding so
repetitive. I was also not that happy with the same beats continuing without
any change. For a person who has listened to thousands of his songs thousand
times, where the beats keep changing every now and then, this sounded odd. And
to top it all, the number of instruments was too less. And yes, there was no
interlude. So, when my son asked my ‘verdict’, I said ‘I am sorry, I am not
impressed; I like his portion alone’.
I stuck to this ‘verdict’ for
nearly 2 days until I started looking at the song from a different
perspective.
To start with, I must admit
that the genre ‘Trance’ was something new to me. After I tried to get
more information, I understood that the beats – essentially 1 2 3 4-
remained constant almost through the song in this genre. I also deciphered that
EDM was part and parcel of this genre and that there will be a kind of
emotional breakdown after a build- up.
With an open mind, I listened
to the song and it opened new vistas and avenues.
Experimentation: Right from 1977 when he innovated and came up
with a technique called ‘super-imposing’ (Kaatrinile varum geetam/ En
KaNmaNi), this composer has always experimented with sound- even when
technology was just at its budding stage in our country. So, this new
experiment does not come as a surprise at all.
Raga/Scale : It is based on a raga called Udaya
Ravichandrika, though it is popularly known by another name – Shrotsavini.
But this is not the only speciality. When the (synth) Shehnai plays in
the beginning, it plays the notes of Shuddha Dhanyasi. After a while,
when the flute joins in, it becomes the raga I mentioned. How? If
one replaces the variant of the swara ‘ni’ with the other variant in Shuddha
Dhanyasi, it becomes Udaya Ravichandrika. This is not Gruha
Bhedam, but just the substitution of a variant of a particular note.
Vocals : The Master is very well known for his
expressive rendition. The way he sings in the second half is something
incredible. But what is to be noted is the fact that he traverses the different
octaves with consummate ease. Please also recall that in Trance, there is a
sudden emotional breakdown and match it with this.
Lyrics: I am not sure about the sequence in the movie, but
to me this seems to be a celebration of womanhood. Knowing the composer’s
piety, I feel the wordings in the second half must have just rolled out of his
lips spontaneously.
MutthumaNi – A different plane!
No comments:
Post a Comment